Casa Navarro is open Wednesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The site is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
History: The Casa Navarro State Historic Site stands on a half-acre lot in downtown San Antonio, in Bexar County. The site, is the restored home of Tejano patriot Josť Antonio Navarro. Today, visitors tour Navarro's adobe home furnished with period antiques, read copies of his writing and discuss questions of history with informed park interpreters.
The site was acquired by donation from the San Antonio Conservation Society in 1975, after having been in operation since July of 1964. The original house complex was the residence of Texas hero Josť Antonio Navarro (1795-1871). Consisting of three limestone, caliche block, and adobe structures, it was built about 1848. The Casa Navarro is the only historic site in San Antonio dedicated to the interpretation of the Mexican history and heritage of Texas, as seen through the life of Navarro, a prominent San Antonio merchant, rancher and statesman.
Josť Antonio Navarro served as a member of the Texas legislatures under Mexico, Republic of Texas, and the State of Texas. Representing San Antonio Tejanos, he signed the Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836. Navarro was the first Tejano to write about the history of Texas. He was an influential political figure during the momentous fifty-five years when the destiny of Texas was forged, from 1810 to 1865. Navarro is best known as the strongest defender of the rights of his people.
116 Navarro Street - San Antonio, Texas 78205
Reservations (800) 257-6058 - (210) 527-1111 fax (210) 527 1112